Tuesday, April 23, 2013

routines

One of the major discoveries we have had this year is the amazing impact of visual schedules and routines in the life of our angel.  Last summer we started posting a 4 month calendar on the wall of his room so that he could anticipate events that may be coming.  It was incredible how much he loved that.  I also regularly talk with him about what to expect each day and it is very important to him that he know what is going to happen before it happens.  Recently I dedicated an entire wall to displays of visual agendas and routines for our family.  He loves it and thrives on following them.  It is a great tool for getting him to do all the things he needs to do each day.  When it is on the schedule and he knows it, he doesn't fight it nearly as much, if at all.  It is actually beneficial to our whole family, we all accomplish a lot more when it is all planned out.  But I must admit it is not as easy for me as I wish it was.  I love lists and schedules, but over the last several years of being a stay at home mom I've gotten used to being able to do things when I want to do them.  And I don't have anyone making me stick to my schedule, even if I plan it out.  I'm doing my best to do it because I know it is what is best for my angel and myself and my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment