Thursday, January 24, 2013

the first indication

When we put our angel in preschool we didn't suspect a thing.  We were as anxious and excited as any other parent.  However, it wasn't long before the preschool teacher started noticing things that were different about him.  She tried to point them out to me but I dismissed her.  I figured she just didn't know my child; she didn't know what she was talking about. Honestly, I was a little offended when she told me she thought I should get him evaluated.  As the year went on I saw some of the things she had been pointing out.  I gradually started to think that there may be a few things we could work on a little more with him to help him catch up.  She insisted it would be good to get an evaluation and that it would be best to have it done before kindergarten, in case there was anything extra we could do for him.  Eventually I gave in.  I really did want what was best for my child and if there was anything more I could do for him I wanted to do it.  I set up an assessment by the school district. I was shocked to find out that this assessment took place over 6 appointments over the course of a couple months.  Little did I know this was only the beginning of endless meetings, appointments, and evaluations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment